Chris's Journal

Friday, January 12, 2007

speechless

Whoa…I just read Leroy’s (npr.org/mycancer) blog ... Someone wrote in and said:
"Every morning, while drinking my first cup of the day, I sit at the computer and read what NPR has to offer. I start with the daily headlines, the growing numbers of innocent victims of genocide, war, hunger, disease, poverty. And then I move on to this blog. I am not and have never been the 'victim' of cancer and for that I am grateful. I'm certain this will be interpreted by all as heartless, but amid all the death, destruction and sadness that comes with being born at the wrong time in the wrong place, I question the morality of expending unknown amounts of resources extending the life of one adult 'victim' who, it appears, has lived a privileged life up to this point. Am I alone when I ask this question?"

I was so angry when I read that, and stunned, and, well, speechless…. I realize that I am lucky, I realize that I have access and support that others do not, I realize that I have choices, but to have someone question whether I should be allowed to fight the cancer and extend my life pissed me off.

I thought Leroy’s response was very good and I calmed down after I read the other comments. For example one person wrote to say, “I would like to believe that our society is one that would choose to care for anyone in need and not place boundaries on that care for any reason. We aren't going to be able to help/save/fix everyone, but we have a responsibility to try our hardest without passing judgment.”

I am not good with conflict, but really appreciated one writer who said (about blogs): “No longer do we have to listen without recourse to someone else's opinion — we now have the ability to achieve true discourse and further the obligation to consider everyone's point of view.”

Ok, ok. It did start a good dialogue and there are things to think about. But, it still pissed me off!

I feel great this week and have some good New Year’s goals in the works. My next PET scan is on Tuesday (gulp) and then chemo next Friday.

Here is some info about PET. (I did a search in MedlinePlus and this is from the National Cancer Institute) The positron emission tomography (PET) scan creates computerized images of chemical changes, such as sugar metabolism, that take place in tissue. Typically, the patient is given an injection of a substance that consists of a combination of a sugar and a small amount of radioactively labeled sugar. The radioactive sugar can help in locating a tumor, because cancer cells take up or absorb sugar more avidly than other tissues in the body.

It was minus 6 when I got up this morning, with a minus 23 wind chill. Yikes! I wanted to crawl back under the covers! Supposed to stay cold for several days. Good weekend to get after some indoor projects.

I hope you all have a wonderful weekend-stay warm!
Hugs,
chris

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home