Chris's Journal

Thursday, January 04, 2007

just Thursday

Another good My Cancer blog (Leroy Sievers) today.
He began with: "We're taught early on not to step over the line. You can't cross police tape or a barricade. Don't drive over the double yellow line. Stay behind the yellow line at the bank or at immigration or on a bus. And for the most part, we obey.
Except in the world of cancer."


He goes on to talk about the radiation room, CT and MRI's, the chemo chemicals...
"My part of all this lies on the other side of that huge door, on the other side of those warning stickers, in a room where it isn't safe for anyone else to be.
The same is true of the chemo room. Those chemicals are dangerous. If they spill, or worse yet, spill on someone, it's taken very seriously. The clear liquid in those bags is dangerous. Unless, of course, you're there to have it pumped into your body. All the warnings on the bags, those are for other people. "


... "Somewhere along the line, we crossed the line. We live on the other side, where it's not safe for other people. We have to go to places and go through things that others are cautioned to avoid. We live on the other side.
I don't pay attention to those warnings anymore. I know they're not meant for me. Those of us with cancer go through things that others avoid. And that's as good a definition of what it's like to have cancer as I can come up with."


I guess I should have just linked to it, since I pasted so much in! That blog is npr.org/mycancer.

I had chemo on the 28th. They were able to get me in a bit early so that I could beat the snow home. Was happy to get down and back on dry roads. My dear friend Pris had located a picture for me to take to Dr. Kanard. It was Dr. Kanard and Pris' son at the junior/senior prom! The west is a small town to be sure!
Spent most of the next 4 days in bed-very tired this time. As I told Jim and Beth, I spent New Year's Eve with Alimta....so, will ring it in again with a more tasty chemical later! Actually, I think I will keep ringing in the new year whenever the mood strikes me!

I hope that you all have a glorious 2007--keep celebrating!
Hugs,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home