Chris's Journal

Wednesday, December 03, 2008

guest blogger

This is the talk that Cathy gave as part of my presentation to the Nursing Ethics class at the University of Wyoming.

November 19, 2008

As I was preparing for today, I couldn’t help but think about the time when Christine and I use to spend this time of year teaching a Decorating through the Holidays class. Today we find ourselves talking about her life as a cancer patient. Believe you me I would give anything to be talking about decorating, but we talk about what we know and now we know about this.

As Christine and I were discussing her talk, I started to focus on the significance of four years which is the length of time that she has been fighting for her life. When I googled four years, some of the obvious connections come up such as the length of time of a presidential term and the number of years it usually takes to get a college degree. Interestingly enough it also happens to be the life of the average iPod. Not that I would equate her life to that of an iPod. And another interesting reference came up that I would like to read.

4 Years on Mars: Rovers Continue to Amaze (By Dave MosherStaff Writerposted: 03 January 200806:28 am ET)
Two robots the size of golf carts were given 90 days to squeeze as much science as possible from the barren, dust-swept terrain of Mars. After that, scientists expected nothing more from them than death.
Nearly four years after their warranties expired, however, the Mars Explorations Rovers (MERs) "Spirit" and "Opportunity" continue to play productively in the red dirt.
"We never thought we'd still be driving these robots all over Mars," said Mark Lemmon, a planetary scientist at Texas A&M University and member of the rover science team. "We joked about driving Opportunity into Victoria Crater, but now we're there, and we're looking at doing even more science. Each day they still work is an amazing one."
http://www.space.com/scienceastronomy/080103-rovers-anniversary.html

Each day that Christine still works is an amazing one. She still works in large part because of her spirit, her opportunities, and her team. And as part of the team, I am trusting that she is in good hands with her medical team. When I said to her that the weight of the messages, words and actions from nurses, doctors, and pharmacists is different I couldn’t figure out how to explain that. And then I realized it had to do with trust. I trust and quite frankly expect that those on her medical team are listening and in the moment when they are with her. That they are aware of what she is saying and what she needs. That trust allows me to devote my time as a caregiver to be in the moment with her as her best friend.

There is a saying from a very special young lady, Tinkerbell that we often say to each other – Faith, trust & pixie dust. Faith which is hope, trust which is the belief that she is in good hands, and pixie dust which is magic.

On December 21st we are celebrating Christine’s four year anniversary. We are calling the celebration Ho Ho Hope. And while many thought that her days were numbered, we are celebrating that she is still here. I believe it is because of faith, trust & pixie dust that she is still roving today!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home